If I was given the chance to choose my last meal in life, I wouldn’t hesitate to ask for lasagna.
Lasagna is, hands down, my favourite meal on the planet.
And this vegan lasagna with homemade ricotta cheese is freakin’ amazing.
I used my food processor to whip up my vegan ricotta cheese, but a high-powered blender would work, too.
I kept things simple and just added spinach as my veggie of choice, but I often add a whole heap of veggies, such as bell peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, and anything else I have sitting in my fridge.
Add whatever you love.
I also sprinkled a bit of fresh parsley on top, but this is optional. I just love the little flecks of green.
- ½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Veggies of choice (I just used spinach to keep things simple, but you could also add mushrooms, bell peppers, and more!)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups pasta sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 box lasagna noodles (buy oven-ready to save some time)
- 1 batch vegan ricotta cheese (link at end of post)
- 1-1½ cups vegan cheese shreds (I used Daiya Mozzarella)
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat, then saute your vegetables until they are cooked to your liking. Add in the minced garlic and cook for a few minutes more. Season well with salt & pepper.
- Add a layer of pasta sauce to the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. This will help prevent the lasagna noodles from sticking to the dish.
- Add a layer of noodles, vegan ricotta cheese, and some vegetables.
- Repeat with more pasta sauce, noodles, ricotta cheese and vegetables, until all of your ingredients are gone.
- Top with vegan cheese shreds, cover the pan with foil (poke a few holes in the top to allow steam to escape), and bake for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, take off the foil, and broil for another 5 minutes or so, until the lasagna is lightly browned.
Recipe: Vegan Ricotta Cheese