Oh, how I love simple meals! We visited my mother in law for Mother’s Day this past weekend (the weekend after the actual holiday, because my hubby was sick on that day), and I brought along this dish for two reasons: 1. It’s SO quick and easy to prepare. 2. It’s travels well. 3. It’s freakin’ delicious, light, healthy and tastes good straight out of the fridge. Okay, that was more than 2 reasons. All legit, though, of course.
We served it along side these oven roasted garlic sweet potatoes, and WOW DELICIOUSNESS. The two went very well together.
This protein packed salad is the way to go if you’re looking for a quick and easy side dish or lunch. I found it very filling, and it’s also healthy enough that you can have multiple servings and not feel guilty about it. I anticipate this dish being our regular potluck contribution to family gatherings!
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1½ cups chickpeas (if using canned, drain and rinse them first)
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 cup green onion, chopped small
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup mint leaves, chopped
- ⅓ cup lemon juice (2 large or 3 medium lemons)
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Put the cooked quinoa in a large bowl. Add the chickpeas, cucumbers, minced garlic, cherry tomatoes, green onion, parsley and mint. Toss well to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and some salt and pepper. Adjust S&P as needed.
- Pour the dressing over the quinoa & chickpea mixture and mix well. Adjust seasonings again, if necessary.
- Serve cold or at room temperature. *
Leave a Reply