You guys – LEMON. And BLUEBERRY. Together forever in these delicious, fluffy pancakes pancakes, loaded with their other best friend – poppy seeds. And then into my belly one after one because omg yumzzzzz.
The lemon and blueberry combination has always been a favourite of mine, but in pancakes it’s the best. THE BEST.
Normally I just add blueberries to the batter, but this time I went ALL. OUT. (not really, it takes less than 10 minutes, and all you do is throw 3 ingredients into a pot) and made a blueberry compote to go on top of the pancakes. And it was the best decision ever and I will never go back to blueberries inside the pancakes again.
Not. a. chance. Just look at that blueberry goo! Now imagine biting into those pancakes with a scoop of blueberry compote on top, and then close your eyes, chew slowly and OMG are you drooling yet?
I am. I must make more lemon pancakes. But I have a basket of peaches on the counter so maybe I will make a peach compote this time.
Oh my, I think I have created a monster. A delicious, lemony, amazing breakfast monster that just won’t stop! Not that I want it to, of course…
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seed + 3 tbsp water)
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup kamut flour (or all-purpose)
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ cup non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (1 medium lemon)
- 1½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- Make your flax egg and set aside to allow it to thicken up.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add in the non-dairy milk, vanilla, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, poppy seeds and flax egg. Mix everything well, but do not over-mix.
- Warm your pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Spray with non-stick spray and scoop ¼ cup of the pancake mix (per pancake) onto the hot pan. Cook for about 2 minutes or until bubbles start to form, then flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until cooked through.
- Repeat until all batter is gone.
- Add all ingredients to a small pot and heat over medium-low for about 10 minutes, until it starts to thicken. Mash down the blueberries with a fork and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until it reaches your desired consistency. Serve over pancakes and top with shredded coconut, if you'd like!