I put beets in my doughnuts and I’m loving every last bite of these chocolate morsels!
I used to be one of those people who hated beets. In fact, just the sight of them alone would give me the heebie jeebies. My mom used to always buy the pickled beets in a jar, and those, I would eat, but fresh beets? No way! Those things are weird!
Well, flash forward to 2014 and fresh beets have now become a staple in my diet. They’re great for more than just eating, though! I also love (read: am obsessed with) them in my smoothies and juices. And they’re good for you!
Lower your blood pressure
Boost your stamina
Are an aphrodisiac (no really!)
Are high in many vitamins and minerals
Help your mental health
Oh, beets. You are magic and I love you long time. Let’s be friends forever.
They’re pretty, right? That’s just another thing beets can do – make pretty food and drinks.
These doughnuts have a chocolate frosting on top (cause’ duh – chocolate), and I also added some beet juice & icing sugar on top to finish them off. And then I proceeded to eat 3 doughnuts before I could even snap a picture. Oops.
I bet you can’t eat just 1 either! Go ahead, try it. I dare you.
- ¾ cups + 1 tbsp kamut or all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- ½ cup almond milk
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup grated beet
- Chocolate: ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips, melted
- Beet Glaze: 3 tbsp beet juice + ⅓ cup icing sugar, whisked together
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a doughnut pan with no-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, mix together the flaxseed, almond milk, coconut sugar, vinegar, olive oil and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Fold in the grated beets.
- Spoon the mixture into your doughnut pan and bake for about 8 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Spread the melted chocolate on the cooled doughnuts, then drizzle with the beet juice + icing sugar mixture.