Who is ready for some healthy summer salads? Even though it’s still spring (and even though it was snowing 3 days ago!), I am pretending it’s summer. This winter has gone on long enough.
After a week of eating way too much junk food and way too much comfort food, it was time to get back on the healthy bandwagon.
Enter – this awesome salad. I made it for lunch the other day.
I looked in my fridge and grabbed pretty much any vegetable I could find, added some nuts, seeds, hummus and avocado, then drizzled on a delicious creamy dressing.
Ah-mazing! I felt so good after eating this plate of nutrients, and was so incredibly stuffed that I didn’t eat again until dinner at 5pm. Coming from someone that usually needs to eat something every 2-3 hours, that says a lot!
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 3 tbsp flax or hemp oil
- ½ tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp dried dill weed (or 1 tbsp fresh)
- 1 small garlic clove
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 small tomato, chopped into bite-size pieces
- ½ cup cucumber, sliced
- ½ tbsp hemp seeds
- ½ tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp slivered almonds
- ¼ cup carrots, shredded
- ¼ cup beets, shredded
- ½ small avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup hummus (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Poppy seeds (or black sesame seeds)
- Add all ingredients into a food processor or blender and process/blend until smooth. If the dressing is not getting smooth enough, you may need to add a bit more water.
- Add a bed of salad greens to your plate, making sure to cover the plate completely.
- Add the other ingredients, layering them nicely around the plate. Make it pretty! Pretty food is fun to eat.
- Drizzle on a bit of the creamy tahini-dill dressing, sprinkle on some green onions and poppy seeds (or black sesame seeds) and enjoy!
Leave a Reply