You know, sweet potato is pretty much a miracle food. You can do so much with it! I love it roasted and served over salad, on it’s own, juiced (yes, you can juice a sweet potato!) and more recently… in soup!
This one is so freakin’ good, I cant even tell you. We enjoyed it with crusty bread and Earth Balance butter, and had it again for leftovers the next (by the way – even better on day two!).
Sweet Potato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup
When the cold weather hits, it's time for the comfort of soup! This dish is sure to please any soup lover that is looking for a little bit of comfort.
Author: Vegan Insanity
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup chopped carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 large roasted red peppers, chopped
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Large handful of fresh basil, chiffonade
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F. Place the sweet potatoes and onions in a large bowl. Drizzle with about half of the oil, then sprinkle on ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper. Toss to coat the sweet potato and onion completely.
- Roast for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add celery and carrots, and cook for about 5 minutes. Then, add the garlic, roasted red pepper and sweet potato & onion mixture. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Once the mixture begins boiling, reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until sweet potato chunks can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Remove from heat, and using an immersion blender, puree the soup until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, throw in your fresh basil, and serve.
(Visited 25,359 time, 1 visit today)
Leave a Reply