Hello, my name is Cassie, and I’m still holding on to summer with all I’ve got. Will. Not. Let. It. Go.
Considering I’ve switched from shorts and t-shirts to pants and sweaters in less than a week, I think it’s safe to say that summer has abruptly just up and left me, without even saying goodbye.
Which just means YAY, FALL FOODS TIME! But it also means summer is gone, and also, much of my fave summer meals. Boo. So let’s give summer one last hurrah, shall we?
This is a big, monster vegan taco salad that I whipped up on a whim the other day, hoping it would bring summer back to me (it didn’t), and it ended up being one of my most favourite salads that I made all summer.
It’s loaded with veggies, quinoa, vegan taco meat and a healthy drizzle of oh-so-good green sauce. It makes my tummy happy.
I also added crushed up tortilla chips (Neil Brothers are THE BEST!) on top, because duh, that’s just obvious. It added a nice salty, crunchy flair to the dish. It also kinda sorta helped with getting my two picky kids to eat a meal full of VEGETABLES.
Goodbye summer, you will be missed! And please… let fall last awhile before old man winter comes along! Pumpkin EVERYTHING is calling my name…
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for at least 2 hours)
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup parsley (cilantro would work, too)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 medium garlic clove
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup walnuts, soaked for at least 2 hours
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked for at least 2 hours
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 cups chopped lettuce (I used mixed greens)
- ⅔ cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup corn
- ¼ cup cooked black beans
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ cup salsa
- Handful of crushed tortilla chips (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a high-powered blender or food processor and blend/process until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Drain walnuts and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and process until combined, and still a bit chunky. Set aside.
- On one large plate or 2 medium-sized plates, add your lettuce, quinoa, red onion, taco meat, corn, the black beans, cherry tomatoes and salsa.
- Drizzle on a heavy amount of dressing, sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips, if desired, and dig in! If you have any left over, the dressing should last in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Leave a Reply