What’s this? Two cauliflower recipes in a row?
Yes, yes, that’s right. Because I can’t get enough of the dang stuff. CAULIFLOWER FOR THE WIN!
Last week I bought 2 heads of cauliflower because I was off in cauliflower land, dreaming of all the cauliflower meals I wanted to make. This was one of them. Cauliflower tacos. With a beer batter. Because, duh. Everything is better with beer. That’s what my husband tells me, anyway.
These vegan tacos are both soft and crunchy at the same time, and when they’re served with the lime-infused cashew cream – well, watch out! They are crazy good.
Who needs fish when you’ve got cauliflower?
- ⅓ cup raw cashews
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tbsp chia seeds
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup kamut flour
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water)
- ⅓ cup beer
- 1 tsp cooking oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ½ large cauliflower, cut into "steaks" or bite-sized pieces
- corn or flour tortillas (I used flour)
- lettuce of choice
- 2 large roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup cooking oil (I used avocado oil)
- Add all ingredients to a high-powered blender or food processor and blend/process until smooth. Set aside.
- Combine flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, chili powder and smoked paprika in a large bowl. Add in the flax egg, beer, oil and lime juice. Mix together very well, making sure everything is combined.
- Add about ½ cup oil to a medium pan over medium heat.
- Once the oil is nice and hot, dip each piece of cauliflower into your batter and then place on the pan (you will need to do this in batches to prevent over-crowding the pan). Fry for about 3 minutes on each side, or until browned.
- Remove to a plate lined with paper towels and sprinkle with a bit of salt.
- Add one cauliflower steak (or a few bit-sized pieces) to each tortilla, top with lime-infused cashew cream, the lettuce of your choice, some roasted red peppers and a few green onion pieces. Repeat with remaining cauliflower. Eat and enjoy!