Cauliflower is a miraculous food, isn’t it? On it’s own, it’s bland as hell, but that’s what makes it so awesome – because you can use it as a base for so many different dishes, such as:
Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce
Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Cauliflower “Chicken” Wings
And now, this cauliflower parmesan.
I am in love with this dish. It is so yummy! I first saw it on Cara’s site awhile ago, and had it on my “to-make” list for weeks. This week, I finally made it, with a few small changes, and it came out even better than I’d hoped.
It does take a bit of time to prepare, but I promise you that it’s worth it!
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp water)
- Pasta of choice
- ⅓ cup flour (I used whole wheat)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp ground flax seeds
- 1 cup bread crumbs (I used Panko)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into chunks
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- Marinara pasta sauce of choice (homemade or store-bought)
- Non-dairy cheese (optional, but strongly encouraged - I used a mix of Daiya chedder and mozzarella shreds)
- 1 tbsp vegan parmesan cheese
- Combine flax egg ingredients (1 tbsp ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp water) together and allow to stand until thickened, 5-10 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions and set aside, keeping warm.
- Once your flax egg is ready, add it, as well as flour, water and another tsp ground flax seeds to a shallow bowl. Whisk together. Set aside.
- In another shallow bowl, add bread crumbs, oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Mix together.
- Dip each cauliflower piece into the flax mixture, then the bread crumbs, and place on a large plate. Continue until all cauliflower pieces have been coated.
- Pre-heat oven to 450F and also warm up a large skillet (the biggest one you've got!) over medium heat.
- Lightly oil your skillet, and cook the cauliflower in the skillet until both sides are lightly browned (5-10 minutes each side).
- Spread a thin later of marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish, then add in the cooked, breaded cauliflower. Top with a bit of non-dairy cheese, if desired, and bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Serve over cooked pasta and sprinkle on some vegan parmesan cheese.
*Use gluten-free pasta, flour and bread crumbs to make this a gluten-free dish.