Scones, anyone? What about pumpkin scones? With a delicious glaze and crushed pecans?
You’re not sick of pumpkin yet, are ya? Pumpkin is still flying around my kitchen ALL THA TIMEEEEE these days and I am digging into it left and right.
And these scones. They are not only stuffed with pumpkin and pecans and delicious fall spices like cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice, but they are also gluten-free.
What the what? Gluten-free? YES, FRIENDS. Even those on a gluten-free diet can enjoy these scones for breakfast. And that makes me happy. Everyone needs to be able to stick a warm, fresh-from-the-oven, scone into their faces at some point in their lives.
And that point is right now. Do ya dig?
I added crushed pecans to the top and inside of the scones, but you can definitely, totally, absolutely leave those out if you’re allergic or just don’t like them. Or swap for a different nut.
Whatever, friends. Do as you please. Just make sure you do something nice for yourself and indulge in a pumpkin scone! Enjoy!
- 1 cup raw pecans, chopped
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 tbsp vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat.
- In a large bowl, combine ¾ cup pecans, the flours, baking powder, coconut sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Mix together until combined.
- Add the butter and with a pastry cutter, a fork, or your hands, mix together until the mixture resembles sand. (If you're using your hands, work quickly so that the butter doesn't get too warm - it needs to be very cold).
- Add in the pumpkin puree, non-dairy milk and vanilla, and mix well until everything is combined. Form the dough into a large circle and cut into 8 slices.
- Put the slices on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Whisk together the icing sugar, cinnamon and non-dairy milk. Spread generously over the cooled scones and top with the remaining ¼ cup chopped pecans.
Leave a Reply