Fall is in the air. Can you smell it?
Though it’s not technically fall yet, I have already started making fall foods, because fall foods are the BEST EVER EVER.
Like this sweet potato shepherd’s pie. Gluten-free and loaded with good stuff like lentils, peas, carrots and corn. Perfect for fall.
You can really add any veggies you’d like to this dish, but I’ve always loved corn, peas and carrots. Along with celery, onions and garlic for some flavour, of course. I also swapped the traditional potato topping and used sweet potato instead.
Is a good source of magnesium (which helps with relaxation)
Is a source of vitamin D, which is hard to get in a vegan diet
Is naturally sweet-tasting
Contains almost twice as much fiber than other types of potatoes
Is good for your heart
So go ahead – stuff your face with sweet potatoes!
I love the hint of sweetness that the sweet potato brings to this dish. It really balances nicely with the vegetables and seasonings.
I always add a sprinkle of paprika on top of my shepherd’s pie, both for flavour and because it looks pretty. And good looking food just tastes better. It’s a fact. Look it up.
So let’s eat up, my friend! This sweet potato shepherd’s pie is not gonna last long around me – get it while you can!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped into small pieces
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced onions
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup diced carrots
- 4½ cups cooked lentils
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk (I used almond)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- paprika & fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Steam your sweet potatoes and set aside.
- While the sweet potatoes are heat a large pan over medium heat. Once warmed, add a tbsp or so of oil, then add in the diced celery, onion, garlic, tomatoes and carrots. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the cooked lentils and soy sauce to the veggies, and heat until warmed through.
- Once your sweet potatoes are finished steaming, mash with the non-dairy milk some salt & pepper.
- Scoop the lentil & veggie mix to the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish, then spread the mashed sweet potatoes over top and spread in an even layer.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the top has browned lightly. Sprinkle with a bit of paprika and fresh parsley, if desired. Serve warm.