I’ve never really been big on burritos. In the past, the ones I’ve eaten have been bland, flavorless and in all honesty, a pain in the ass to prepare.
So a few weeks ago, I made it my mission to make the perfect vegan burrito.
And I think I’ve done it.
I filled this burrito with all of my favourite things: potatoes, red pepper, black beans, tomato and avocado. I added some spicy seasonings, and that was it! Easy to make, and it was mighty delicious.
Finally – a burrito I actually want to eat!
- 3 medium potatoes, chopped into small pieces (I used organic red potatoes)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ small red pepper, seeded & chopped small
- 1 small tomato, chopped small
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1½ cups cooked black beans (if using canned, drain and rinse the beans first)
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste)
- 1 small avocado, sliced
- Fresh parsley (optional)
- Vegan sour cream (optional)
- Cook your chopped potatoes in a large pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes minutes, or until softened. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat, add your oil and potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes. Add in the red pepper, tomato, chili powder, cumin and lime juice. Mix well, and cook for a few minutes more. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Stir in the black beans and cook just until heated through.
- Scoop mixture onto tortillas, top with avocado and chopped, fresh parsley, wrap up your burrito, cut in half and serve (with a dollop of vegan sour cream, if so desired!).