I love an excuse to make cupcakes, so when we hosted our daughter’s 2nd birthday party a few weeks ago, I made these delicious cakes – and boy, am I ever glad I did. I’m still getting people asking me for the recipe, so I thought I should post it here and have somewhere I can refer people!
The cupcakes on their own aren’t super sweet, which is why I added a bundle of vegan buttercream frosting on top of them, which really just takes them over the top, if you ask me. Delicious and chocolaty!
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting
Author: Vegan Insanity
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 12 cupcakes
- 1¼ cups kamut or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1½ cup vegan powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Non-dairy milk, as needed (I used about 3 tbsp)
- Vegan sprinkles (optional)
- Vegan chocolate candies (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray an 8x8 baking pan with a oil mister and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the water, vanilla, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar, whisk again until well combined. Do not over-mix. A few little clumps are fine!
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cook completely.
- Beat the vegan butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the vanilla and ½ cup powdered sugar. Once the powdered sugar is mixed in, add another ½ cup, and repeat again. Add in some non-dairy milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed.
- Beat everything together until the desired consistency is reached. Top with vegan chocolate candies and/or sprinkles, if you want!
(Visited 938 time, 1 visit today)
Leave a Reply