I must have been living under a rock for awhile, because I hadn’t heard of smoothie bowls until last month.
Now, they seem to be popping up everywhere I look! Not that I’m complaining or anything…
What is a smoothie bowl, you ask? Simple: a smoothie – in a bowl (made a bit thicker). Yes, I’m serious. Yes, it’s way more fun than it sounds. Yes, it’s just as tasty in a bowl as it would be in a glass.
This was my first every smoothie bowl that I made last week. It’s just frozen blueberries, a large banana, some ground flax seed and a bit of almond milk, topped with homemade granola, coconut and fresh raspberries.
It did not disappoint. I love that I can add all kinds of toppings, which you can’t really do with a “regular” smoothie (drinking shredded coconut and granola would probably not work very well)!
Now, what can I make next? If you’ve made smoothie bowls before, what do you like putting in yours?
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed (optional)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I used almond)
- Topping of choice (I used granola, coconut and fresh raspberries)
- Add all ingredients (except toppings) to your blender, and blend until smooth & creamy. You want it to be a bit thicker than a traditional smoothie that you would drink.
- If the mixture is too thin, add another ½-1 banana or more berries.
- Scoop mixture into your bowl and top with your toppings of choice. Eat with a spoon!