This is one of my favourite comfort foods. When I’m having a bad day, I don’t want a bowl of salad. I want a big plate of fries, smothered in gravy and cheese.
I rarely eat this way, but when I do, I don’t scrimp.
This vegan poutine is really simple, mostly because I cheat by using vegan cheese shreds. The only thing I have to make myself are the fries and gravy.
Which, thankfully, are very, very easy.
So, if you’re having a bad day, dig in to a plate of vegan poutine. And enjoy every scrumptious minute of it. Then – start eating healthy again immediately afterward!
- 2 large or 3 medium russet potatoes, cut unto wedges or thin strips
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 2 tbsp flour (I used whole wheat)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½-1 cup vegan cheese shreds (I used Daiya mozzarella shreds)
- Pre-heat your oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl, drizzle the olive oil over your fries, and mix together well. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and cook for about 20-30 minutes (depending on how thick you made your fries), turning once. Remove from oven once they are cooked and divide between 2-4 plates.
- Heat a small pot over medium heat.
- Add in the vegan butter, and once it has melted add in the flour. Whisk together until no clumps remain, and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the vegetable broth, mustard and soy sauce and whisk again.
- Let the gravy thicken for a few minutes.
- On top of your cooked fries, add vegan cheese shreds, then pour the thickened gravy over top. Enjoy immediately.