What’s another word for “in love”?
Infatuated? No… Obsessed? No…
I know – enamored. Yes, enamored. That’s exactly how I feel about rice bowls. Completely and utterly enamored. I guess you could say I’m infatuated and obsessed, too, but either way: LOVE.
I piled a heap of brown rice, sauteed kale and a sweet & savory sesame-orange tofu on my plate and then sprinkled with some sesame seeds and green onions. DINNER IS SERRRRRRVED. YES.
The combination of orange juice, sesame oil, and a hint of heat from the red chili flakes, makes your mouth be all “what is this deliciousness I’m tasting and why don’t you feed it to me more often?”. I’m sorry mouth. I will do better.
Can I also mention that my kids ate this and kinda sorta liked it? For real! My anti-tofu, anti-anything green kids liked this meal. Surprise of a lifetime. Guess that means no leftovers for me. But my kids ate greens! And tofu! Who are they?!
Now it’s your turn to dig into this super yummy bowl of everything awesome. Enjoy, friend!
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 lb extra-firm tofu, sliced into ¼ inch pieces
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- 1½ tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Add cornstarch and water in a small bowl until the cornstarch is fully disolved. Set aside.
- In an 9x9 inch baking dish, add orange juice, orange zest, red pepper flakes, tamari, maple syrup, vinegar, garlic, sesame oil, salt and pepper, and the cornstarch & water mixture. Stir to combine .
- Add tofu coat it with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate 30-60 minutes.
- To bake, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, flipping the tofu over halfway through cooking time.
- While the tofu is cooking, heat a large pan over medium heat. Once warmed, add your olive oil, then the minced garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the garlic is lightly browned. Add in the kale and cook until wilted, another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl or on a plate, add rice, then the kale, then the tofu. Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply