I bought a box of about 40 bananas last week (what? you don’t do that too?) because I have plans for lots of banana ice cream now that the hot weather is here, and I also wanted to make some banana desserts & breakfasts.
So – yesterday I made vegan banana muffins. But not just any banana muffins – no, I made banana crumb muffins. And yes, the crumb part is necessary to mention. In fact, I think it’s safe to say that the “crumbs” totally make this muffin.
Just look at all that crumbly goodness. It tastes just as good sprinkled in your mouth as it does on the muffins.
These vegan banana crumb muffins are awesome for many reasons:
They take just 30 minutes to make, from start to finish
They have just the right amount of sweetness
They’re super moist
They’re very filling (but it’s hard to eat just one!)
I changed up the recipe I found on Minimalist Baker just a bit, and this has now become a keeper recipe for our family. In just 24 hours, we devoured all 12 muffins!
Actually, that may have happened in less than 12 hours…
Stop whatever you are doing and GO MAKE THESE MUFFINS! You’ll be happy you did.
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup kamut flour
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seed, 6 tbsp water)
- 4 medium bananas, mashed (make sure they are very ripe)
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance), melted
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups kamut flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup walnuts, optional
- Using your fingers, mix together the brown sugar, flour and butter in a small bowl, until it resembles wet sand. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375F and spray your muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray (or use coconut oil).
- In a large mixing bowl, add your ground flax & water for the flax eggs. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the mashed bananas, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, vanilla & melted vegan butter. Mix well.
- Add flour, rolled oats, and walnuts, and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Fill your muffin tins about ¾ of the way fill with the banana muffin mix.
- Sprinkle your crumb topping over each muffin.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tops are golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean.