This is undoubtedly my favourite breakfast ever. It’s so simple to put together and in less than 30 minutes I can stuff my face. Which, honestly, is exactly what I do, because it is THAT good.
The vegan cheese is a must, in my opinion. Although the dish is good without it, the cheese just makes it 10x better!
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 large potato (I use organic red potatoes)
- ¼ cup green pepper (chopped into bite-size pieces)
- ⅓ cup tomato (chopped into bite-size pieces)
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼-1/3 cup vegan cheese shreds, optional (I used Daiya cheddar shreds)
- 1 green onion stalk (chopped)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Rinse and scrub your potato well. Dry, and using a box grater, grate the potato. Add to a colander and rinse under cold water until the water runs clear. Press a clean, dry towel on top and "push" out as much liquid as you can.
- Add olive oil to skillet and spread it out evenly. Add in your potatoes, green pepper and tomatoes. Do not mix. Let everything get all brown and crispy on the bottom, about 5 minutes.
- Once the potatoes start to brown on the bottom, you can mix them up. Add in the garlic and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add salt, pepper, onion powder, vegan cheese shreds (if using), and green onion pieces, and mix well. Cook for another 5 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked and crispy.