One thing I really missed when I went vegan was tuna salads & sandwiches. I loved the taste of them, but hated eating fish. So, when I stumbled upon this awesome salad recipe on Angela’s site, I knew I had to give it a try.
Although it sounded too good to be true, I’m pleased to say that it wasn’t. It tasted just as good as what I remember tuna salad tastes like. In fact, I think I actually like it better.
The slight crunch from the flaked almonds takes this dish to a whole new level!
I often make this salad into a sandwich because with a bit of fruit or veggies on the side, I can actually call it a meal.
Although, I have been known to just eat this stuff straight from the bowl, too. It’s crazy good!
- 1 cup raw almonds, soaked at least 3 hours
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, grated with a zester
- 3 tbsp vegan mayo (I use Vegenaise)
- 1 tsp mustard (or Dijon mustard)
- ¾ tbsp lemon juice
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Drain and rinse your soaked almonds, then add to a food processor or high-speed blender and process until finely chopped.
- Add chopped almonds to a large bowl, and to them add the celery, green onion, mayo, mustard and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper, then serve in a sandwich, with crackers, or just eat it right from the bowl!