If you’re craving something sweet today, I’ve got you covered. If you’re craving something salty – well, I’ve got you covered, too!
Enter – sweet & salty caramel corn.
As someone who has tried to make caramel corn many, many times (and failed every time), I can tell you that this recipe is foolproof. The recipe comes from a non-vegan friend of mine, who uses butter in her recipe, so the only thing I changed is that I used vegan butter instead.
And it worked! It actually worked! I made caramel corn and it didn’t turn into a soggy, mushy mess!
If you’ve never made caramel corn before – or if you did, but it didn’t turn out right, I beg you to give this recipe a shot. It’s perfect, it’s easy, and it’s freakin’ delicious.
- ½ cup popcorn kernels, popped and ready to eat
- ⅓ cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Preheat your oven to 250F and lay a Siplat baking mat down on 2 large baking sheets (or you can lightly oil them). Make sure your popcorn is in a large bowl, waiting to be covered in this yummy caramel sauce.
- In a medium pot, melt the vegan butter over medium heat, then add in the salt, brown sugar, vanilla and maple syrup. Bring to a boil.
- Allow to boil for about 5 minutes, then remove from heat and add in the baking soda. Mix well, and pour over your popcorn right away.
- Mix in the caramel, making sure to cover all of the popcorn. Then, pour the popcorn onto the 2 baking trays and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir, then allow to cool for about 15 minutes.